Feel free to use this tool to calculate how much your drillers and yourself are lifting per year. HARDAB does not track or store the information on this website.
Some other reasons to use HARDAB drilling rigs:
- Possibility to use only one operator saving the company money.
- The need to touch drill pipes is reduced. Touching the drill pipe puts the drillers inside the danger zone.
- Load the next drill pipe into the pipe rod handling arm while drilling saving time.
- Support the casing with the pipe handling arm to make installation and welding easier.
- No sensors nor electronics, most breakdowns can be fixed by the operator.
- Drillers who use HARDAB often never want to use anything else.
- Using HARDAB 6-meter rigs offers many advantages: reduced fuel consumption for compressors; 6-meter casing means less welding when installing casing; each drill pipe drills for a longer time, which gives you time to do other things than handle pipes; when picking up half as many un-threadings occur which saves time.
There is a clear connection between pain in the body and the work environment.
Injuries often occur in connection with heavy lifting, repeated movements, and uncomfortable working positions. High work pace and stress can also contribute to body aches. Those who lift heavy or stand a lot at work are at greater risk of developing osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis is a common joint disease that affects approximately every fourth person over the age of 45 in Sweden.
Chronic Back Pain in the USA
In the USA, back problems are among patients’ most frequent complaints to their doctors. Nearly 65 million Americans report a recent episode of back pain. Some 16 million adults — 8 percent of all adults — experience persistent or chronic back pain, and as a result, are limited in certain everyday activities. Back pain is the sixth most costly condition in the United States. Health care costs and indirect costs due to back pain are over $12 billion per year.
- Back pain is a leading cause of work limitations
- Smaller proportions of adults with back pain are working
- Older adults with back pain are less satisfied with their retirement
- Adults with back pain are less active
Source: Chronic Back Pain | Health Policy Institute | Georgetown University
Ergonomics is about adapting the job to the person – not the other way around.
And since all people are different, the work environment must be adapted. Using the HARDAB rod handling system, the risk of back sprains, muscle pulls, wrist injuries, elbow injuries, and spinal injuries are reduced and the drill rig operator still has the energy to do the things they love at the end of the working day like hiking or playing with their kids.
Responsibility for the work environment
The employer should arrange and design the work environment so that hazardous and unnecessarily tiring lifts can be avoided. The employer should adapt the work to the employee’s conditions.
The employee’s responsibility is to follow the employer’s instructions, use the available equipment and do his best to avoid accidents.
The average well driller who does not use HARDAB pipe handling lifts huge amounts every year.
To put things in perspective, we have made a small collage with known objects and their weight:
The world’s heaviest measured object, the Revolving Service Structure (RSS) at launchpad 39B at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida, USA weighs 2,423 tons (5,342,000 lbs.). The picture also shows the space shuttle Discovery.
The Statue of Liberty in New York weighs 204 tons.
An Airbus A380 weighs 277 tons without load. Here next to a Boeing 737